Monday, April 5, 2010

Happy Easter!!!!

So we had an AMAZING 1st Easter with our precious son Jake. We read to him all week about... not the Easter Bunny... but the Easter story. Christ and his RESURRECTION!! It will be so fun when Jake is old enough to really understand exactly what that means in His little life. That God loves him soooo much that He gave his own son to die on a cross. No longer do we have to go to priests to pray to God on our behalf. No longer do we have to make sacrifices to atone for our sins.. God gave the ultimate sacrifice... His ONLY son! Being a Mommy of a precious boy now, it's hard to comprehend what God felt seeing His son suffer so greatly at the hands of those He came to save. I think I would have looked out at the crowd and said.. fine.. you're not worth it and took my son down from the cross and left this world to fall apart... but HE didn't do that! THANK YOU GOD!!!

I had a dream Saturday night that Jake was lost. I have never felt such desperation as I did at that moment. I knew where he was, but I couldn't get to him. I wanted to make sure he was safe, but he was too far away! My heart ached!! During worship Sunday I was reminded of that dream and just started to think about what it must have been like for God. He knew where His Son was. He knew what His son was going to endure. I'm sure He too, wanted to run to His son and hold him... but he couldn't... don't get me wrong... he could have.. but he chose not too... FOR YOU!!! In my dream, if someone had said, we keep Jake, but you will save the world... NO WAY! Give me my boy and don't you dare touch a hair on his head!!

Do you get it?? I mean, do you REALLY get it?? I know I think I get it... and I know I still don't (and probably won't ever) completely get it. JESUS SACRIFICED HIS LIFE FOR YOU!! GOD ALLOWED HIS ONLY SON TO BE BRUTALLY BEATEN, FLOGGED, MOCKED, AND ULTIMATELY HUNG ON A CROSS FOR YOU!!!! He didn't have to do that... but He loves us SO MUCH that He did... even while we were still sinners. The best part of the story?? The reason we celebrate Easter?? It's not the pretty dresses or the yummy Easter meals... no... it's that HE LIVES!!! JESUS LIVES!!!! HE WAS RAISED FROM THE DEAD!! Not even death could keep him down!! How exciting is that!!!! Ahhhhhh!!! I could shout it from the roof top!!

As I was saying.. I just can't wait for the day when Jake can really understand the greatness of our God. His dependence on Him and how we have hope in HIM no matter our circumstances good or bad. It is always mine and Gerald's prayer that Jake will be even crazier about God than we are. That he will have a boldness that we lack. That he will have an even closer relationship with the Lord than we do... we want him to "get it"!!! We discussed at lunch today that we look forward to the day that his faith will challenge US! Oh the glorious days ahead!! Now, don't get me wrong... I love Easter for the traditional reasons too.

Now, I do look forward to decorating and hunting Easter eggs with Jake. I look forward to finding things to put in his Easter basket, and telling him "no more candy!" (and sneaking a little when he's not looking) ;o) I do enjoy dressing him up in adorable outfits. I love that Easter means that Spring is upon us. There are many reasons I enjoy Easter, I just always want to make sure none of that overshadows the REASON we celebrate to begin with. (have I mentioned that HE LIVES??!!)

So our Easter this year consisted of a visit from Grammie and Grandad, an Easter basket filled with goodies (don't eat the grass), and a swing in the backyard for Jake to enjoy on these nice Spring days. (built with love by Daddy and Grandad). We had a fun weekend filled with playing on the floor with Jake, watching him jump endlessly in his jump-n-jive, taking lots of pictures, and just good family fun. I hope your family found itself marveling in the greatness of our God and His son Jesus. I hope you found yourself blessed beyond measure by His Grace and Mercy. Most of all, I hope you found yourself loved by the Savior!! HE IS ALIVE!!

No comments: